Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Learn to Look for the Good in All Experiences



My religious beliefs underscore my natural tendency as an optimist to see the best side of everything. Divine Providence sometimes, and sometimes for veritably lengthy periods of time, can be hard to see through the fog therewith pertaining. For most aspects of my life, it has been actually years before I have been able to see why I had to go through some experience or another. I understand only when I can discern how I grew because of it. 

I am so constituted that I often quote to myself the atheist Voltaire’s sentence, “Everything is for the best in this best of all possible worlds,” completely without putting his sarcastic spin upon it. I take it quite literally and--eventually--always find it true.

There is a Jewish tradition that G-d gives the hardest lives to those who are the most worthy in terms of character. I think that it goes the other way 'round. "What does not kill me makes me stronger" is probably the only thing that Nietzsche wrote (paraphrase) that makes sense to me. But it takes a disposition to like people and be flexible in order to be refined by hard experiences. After all, some who have undergone suffering become criminals..... 

By looking to see what you can learn from every experience, and by being primed to try to find the good aspect of each, you can lead a happier life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hang On Till Tomorrow--Your Attention Will Probably Have Deflected from the Present Despair

Hang on until tomorrow because it can’t be the same bad as it was today, even if you don’t achieve a decent day. Why? Your life is not ...